Since medieval times, builders and engineers had formed part of British armies. But they were first constituted as a corps in 1716 by the Board of Ordnance. The unit gained its 'Royal' prefix in 1787, becoming the Corps of Royal Engineers (RE).
Originally an officer-only corps, its other ranks were supplied by contracted civilian workers. However, from 1787, soldiers were provided by the Corps of Royal Military Artificers. In 1812, this unit’s name was changed to the Corps of Royal Sappers and Miners.
In 1855, when the Board of Ordnance was abolished, the Royal Engineers and the Royal Sappers and Miners transferred to the Commander-in-Chief’s direct control. The following year, they were merged into a single corps. Their headquarters moved from Woolwich to Chatham in Kent.
By this time, the two separate corps had already served in many campaigns, including the American War of Independence (1775-83), the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1793-1815), and countless colonial conflicts around the globe.
Their duties included siege warfare, map-making and the construction of bridges, roads, fortifications, drainage systems and camps. Engineers also pioneered the military use of the telegraph during the Crimean War (1854-56) and were responsible for the Army's postal service.
Please contact us if you would like this t-shirt in any other colour or size not shown. firstname.lastname@example.org
This t-shirt makes for a great staple! It has a classic fit (not form-fitting) with a thick cotton fabric.
• 100% cotton (Heather colors contain polyester)
• Fabric weight: 6 oz (203 g/m2)
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping
Model is wearing a size M. He's 6.2 feet (190 cm) tall, chest circumference 37.7" (96 cm), waist circumference 33.4" (85 cm).